National
Australia provides Rs51 million for quake relief to Nepal
The Oceanian nation said it will contribute financial aid for work activities through the World Food Programme in the affected areas.
Post Report
The Australian Government has announced humanitarian funds worth around Rs51 million to provide relief packages to the survivors of the recent Jajarkot earthquake.
In a press release issued on Thursday, the Oceanian nation said that it will contribute financial aid for work activities through the World Food Programme in the affected areas.
Psychosocial support and access to reproductive health and gender-based violence response services will also be provided through the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) while further funding to support early reconstruction to restore damaged public infrastructure, including health facilities, will be granted through Human Development Communities Services.
The new funding will enable Australia’s established partners working on the ground in the earthquake-affected districts to respond to emerging humanitarian needs, the press release further read.
Australian Ambassador to Nepal Felicity Volk expressed sorrow over the loss of lives and damages caused by the natural disaster.
“Australia and Nepal have a long-standing friendship and a history of supporting each other during times of crisis including in the 2015 earthquake and the Covid-19 pandemic,” Volk is quoted as saying. “Our humanitarian funding for the most recent earthquake response will help meet the urgent needs of impacted communities, including preparing for winter.”
The Australian government had previously provided supplies such as dignity and adolescent kits distributed through the UNFPA Nepal to 10,000 women and girls.
“Australia has also supported the distribution of reproductive health kits to key facilities to support safe deliveries, treatment of pregnancy complications, and other services to respond to the needs of an estimated population of 60,000,” the statement further reads.