CIAA files another graft case against Chudamani SharmaA corruption case has been filed against suspended director general of Inland Revenue Department, Chudamani Sharma, at the Special Court on Monday. The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) filed the case against Sharma for the second time.
A corruption case has been filed against suspended director general of Inland Revenue Department, Chudamani Sharma, at the Special Court on Monday. The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) filed the case against Sharma for the second time.
The CIAA, in its charge-sheet, has stated that Sharma amassed disproportionate property amounting to Rs 42.95 million. The CIAA probe found the legal souces of only Rs 36.37 million properties owned by Shamra.
Sharma has claimed that a large portion of his property came from selling books to government jobs aspirants and taking coaching classes to them. Sources have claimed that Sharma has hidden some of his earnings with relatives and businessmen.
Earlier in July 2017, the CIAA, in one of the largest ever corruption cases, had charged Sharma and other two members of the Tax Settlement Commission (TSC)—Lumba Dhwoj Mahat and Umesh Dhakal—with embezzling revenues worth Rs10.02 billion each while exempting enterprises of taxes in dubious ways.
The case is still pending at the Special Court.
The case filed on Monday is, however, not linked with corruption scandal. The constitutional anti-graft has the authority to probe into civil employees’ property if they suspect unnatural earnings without legal sources. The CIAA decided to lodge a case after Sharma remained adamant in furnishing his property details.
It is learnt that if Sharma fails to present the valid source of his property, the court could uphold the charges against him.
Sharma, currently out of contact, failed to present himself at the CIAA office despite repeated summoning. CIAA has issued a warrant against Sharma for his arrest.
Here’s a timeline of the graft case against Sharma
- Feb 2015: Sushil Koirala-led govt forms Tax Settlement Commission (TSC)
- April 13, 2017: OAG report questions tax settlement by TSC, saying various enterprises were given exemption of tax amounting to over Rs 20 billion
- June 2, 2017: CIAA arrests TSC member Chudamani Sharma; he stands suspended as the director general of Inland Revenue Department
- June 22, 2017: CIAA issues public notice for the arrest of TSC Chairman LD Mahat and member Umesh Dhakal
- June 29, 2017: CIAA sets Rs 3 billion bail for Sharma
- July 11, 2017: Sharma’s wife files writ of habeas corpus at the Supreme Court demanding Sharma’s release
- July 16, 2017: CIAA files a Rs 10.2-billion graft case against Sharma, Mahat and Dhakal
- July 19, 2017: SC decides to send the writ of habeas corpus to the full bench; orders status quo on the corruption case filed against Sharma, Mahat and Dhakal
- Aug 1, 2017: SC sends Sharma to judicial custody
- Aug 11, 2017: Apex court full bench orders Sharma’s release on general date; graft case against him to continue at the Special Court