Housing aid distribution from Singati deferredRebuilding authorities have said families in Dolakha rendered homeless by the earthquakes last year will get the government-announced housing reconstruction aid from Monday
Rebuilding authorities have said families in Dolakha rendered homeless by the earthquakes last year will get the government-announced housing reconstruction aid from Monday, after a grant agreement was signed on Sunday between the local bodies and two selected banks for distributing the cash.
National Reconstruction Authority officials said “technical problems” hampered the planned distribution of the money in the district on Sunday. “We are discussing with local political parties to expedite the process,” said NRA Spokesperson Suresh Adhikari.
Two commercial banks and the Village Development Committees under the Singati Resource Centre made a deal to distribute Rs260 million in first instalment to the displaced families. As the local bodies were preparing to distribute the cash, local leaders of the UCPN (Maoist) and the Baburam Bhattarai-led Naya Shakti created obstacles demanding that the aid be given to all the displaced families identified as earthquake victims.
An agreement was, however, reached later that the District Disaster Coordination Committee would hear the complaints, if any, and begin cash distribution, according to NRA officials.
Eleven months after the disaster, the NRA is set to distribute the aid to the quake-affected people in the six VDCs. An NRA team led by Chief Executive Officer Sushil Gyewali had reached Singati on Saturday.
Of the 5,300 households recognised as genuine victims under the centre, 3,000 households have opened accounts with the Nepal Investment Bank and the Rastriya Banijya Bank through branchless service.