National
Home minister promises justice for Bara toddler
Sudan Gurung says suspects have been arrested and additional people detained after the girl’s family filed a police complaint.Post Report
Home Minister Sudan Gurung has expressed shock and grief over the “heinous crime” against a three-year-old girl in Bara, saying the government will ensure a thorough investigation and take action against anyone found responsible.
In a social media post on Saturday morning, Gurung said he was “deeply saddened and shocked” by the incident.
“The pain of such a crime against a little girl is not just the pain of one family. It is the pain of our entire society,” he wrote.
According to Gurung, the suspects were arrested soon after the incident, and the investigation is underway. He said serious questions had been raised about alleged police negligence during the initial stage of the case, prompting an investigation into the officers involved and steps to take action against those found at fault.
He also said four more people had been arrested after the girl’s family filed a police complaint seeking further investigation into the incident.
Gurung acknowledged the public anger and demands for the death penalty following the crime but said Nepal’s constitution prohibits capital punishment.
“Article 16(2) of the constitution prohibits the enactment of laws providing for the death penalty,” he said.
Gurung said the Home Ministry’s primary responsibility was to ensure an impartial and robust investigation, adding that the government was focused on making sure that “the guilty do not escape and the victim gets justice”.
He also urged the public and political parties not to politicise the case or conduct a “media trial” based on unverified information.
“Your anger should not be allowed to influence the investigation and judicial process, as doing so could ultimately weaken justice itself,” Gurung wrote.




26.12°C Kathmandu
















