Batar fire victims want roof over their headsThe fire victims of Batar village in Barahachhetra Municipality-11, Sunsari, have been living under open sky since Saturday night.
The fire victims of Batar village in Barahachhetra Municipality-11, Sunsari, have been living under open sky since Saturday night.
They say the immediate cash relief of Rs 5,000 per family, distributed by the District Natural Disaster Relief Committee, is not sufficient to rebuild their lives as they were before.
Eighty-five homes were reduced to ashes in the fire that was caused due to a suspected short circuit on Saturday evening. The disaster rendered more than 200 people homeless.
Most of the victims are women and children. They want roof over their heads and food to survive.
The fire victims are facing a shortage of drinking water. Sanitation is also lacking because there are no toilets around.
Assistant Chief District Officer Anuj Bhandari said they just completed the emergency rescue and relief works.
The rehabilitation phase shall begin shortly, he added.
The district administration is also working with various social organisations in relief distribution work.