Panel to decide left alliance candidates within 3 daysTwo separate teams formed to expedite alliance between the CPN-UML, the CPN (Maoist Centre) and the Naya Shakti Party-Nepal have been directed to decide candidates within three days and to draft manifestos for the upcoming federal and provincial elections within a week.
Two separate teams formed to expedite alliance between the CPN-UML, the CPN (Maoist Centre) and the Naya Shakti Party-Nepal have been directed to decide candidates within three days and to draft manifestos for the upcoming federal and provincial elections within a week.
A meeting attended by UML Chairman KP Sharma Oli and Maoist Centre Chair Pushpa Kamal Dahal on Thursday, however, decided that the three parties would prepare their lists of candidates for the proportional representation election separately.
According to UML Vice-chairman Bhim Bahadur Rawal, the strength of the parties in individual constituencies would be taken into consideration while picking the candidates. The results of recently concluded local elections would also be considered. The leftist alliance has announced to allocate 60 percent seats to the UML and the remaining 40 percent to the Maoist Centre after setting aside constituencies for Naya Shakti candidates.
For the election manifesto, the alliance has agreed to focus on prosperity, national unity, effective implementation of the constitution and the peace process.
Top leaders of the three parties will give a final nod to the manifesto drafted by one of the task forces.
A meeting of the party unification coordination committee on Wednesday formed the task force under UML General Secretary Ishwor Pokhrel to select candidates for the upcoming elections.
The seven-member team comprises UML leaders Bishnu Poudel and Surendra Pandey; Ram Bahadur Thapa, Barsha Man Pun and Matrika Yadav from the Maoist Centre and Ganga Shrestha from the Naya Shakti. The panel tasked with drafting the manifesto has Bam Dev Gautam, Rawal and Pradeep Gyawali from the UML; Narayan Kaji Shrestha, Dev Gurung and Bishwo Bhakta Dulal from the Maoist Centre and Dambar Khatiwada and Laxmi Devkota from the Naya Shakti.