More than 3,000 still living in vulnerable zoneAs many as 3,794 earthquake survivors are still living in areas that are geographically vulnerable, the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) has said. The authority,
Published at : April 2, 2018
Updated at : April 2, 2018 08:00
As many as 3,794 earthquake survivors are still living in areas that are geographically vulnerable, the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) has said. The authority, mandated to carry out post-quake reconstruction drive, has stated that initiatives including resettlement of households in such areas will be carried out in the near future.
According to NRA Spokesperson Yam Lal Bhoosal, the authority has floated two models for shifting the settlement of people living in such areas. First, households can purchase land in safe zone and move out from the vulnerable ones, and second, relocate their residence to a government-built integrated settlement.
The NRA has already announced that it would provide Rs200,000 on top of the housing aid of Rs300,000 to those who wish to relocate on their own.
Similarly, eligible households who wish to move to the integrated settlement will have to transfer their land ownership in the vulnerable zone to the government to ensure that human settlement is not built there in future.
Of the 3,794 beneficiaries, 314 have already managed land mobilising government fund and are expected to begin construction of home within the near future.
Likewise, the NRA has stated that it has completed a geological study in 993 locations. Of the total, 388 have been marked as safe for settlement, 319 have been identified as location that needs to adopt safety measures and 286 as locations that cannot be used for human habitat.
Similarly, a study has been conducted in 11 locations to develop an integrated settlement. The integrated settlement to be developed by the government will also have provision for proper roads, drinking water, electricity, public toilet, health post, community building and schools among other facilities.
“The process of developing the integrated settlement is a gradual process and we are doing the needful to bring this project soon,” Bhoosal said.
The NRA has identified 112 settlements, including Keraunja in Gorkha, Khalde in Rasuwa, Urleni in Nuwakot, Besimpa in Dolakham and Selang in Sindhupalchok, as the vulnerable zones.
In May last year, an NRA Executive Committee meeting had decided to develop an integrated settlement in five districts worst affected by the disaster that had struck the country on April 25, 2015. Subsequently, the committees were formed under chief district officers of the respective districts to shift the vulnerable settlements to safe locations.
MPs from 14 worst hit districts on NRA council
KATHMANDU: An NRA National Reconstruction Advisory Council meeting headed by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli on Sunday nominated parliamentarians from 14 districts hardest hit by the 2015 earthquake to the council. The nomination, according to NRA officials, has come with the motive of better coordinating reconstruction drive and is in line with the principle of inclusiveness.
During the meeting, PM Oli stressed the need to complete the reconstruction works at the earliest. “A lot needs to be done in limited time. The NRA shouldn’t waste time citing legal complications,” NRA Chief Executive Officer Yubaraj Bhusal quoted PM Oli as telling the meeting.
On the occasion, the NRA presented the current status of reconstruction drive. “We also presented our future plan and goals,” Bhusal said, adding that the authority was aiming to complete the reconstruction works of private home by next year. Expressing concerns over delay in reconstruction of Dharahara and Rani Pokhari, PM Oli also directed the NRA and stakeholders concerned to begin rebuilding works soon.