Gandaki Province
Chaos ensues in Lamjung as scuffle break out between hydro project officials and locals
The locals vandalised the project’s vehicles for defying the lockdown on Monday.
Aash Gurung
A scuffle broke out between locals and the employees of a construction company in Lamjung as the latter defied the nationwide lockdown on Monday.
When the employees of the Nyadi Hydroelectricity Project drove their vehicles—two of which were trucks carrying turbines—the locals of Thulibesi proceeded to block the road using logs and a fence. But the employees destroyed the fence and ran over the logs, eye-witnesses said.
The local youths then took to the road and stopped the vehicles, after which the employees tried to attack the locals, who in turn retaliated. Chaos ensued. After a few minutes of scuffle between the two parties, the employees ran away, locals said.
Two of the project’s officials—Basudev Gadtaula, who is the administrative officer and the project, and Rameshwor Yadav, a translator—have been injured. According to Bishnu Raj Ghimire, public relations officer at the project, two of the vehicles were vandalised.
Many of the employees at the project are Chinese nationals who recently returned from their native country. Locals say the employees defied their requests to stay in quarantine after their return.
A team of police led by Inspector Om Prakash Pun was deployed at the incident site. The team tried to placate the locals but until Monday evening, the case remains unsolved, according to Pun.
Deputy Superintendent Rabindraman Gurung of Lamjung Police said his office is investigating the case.
The project is run by the Chinese contractor Zhejiang Hydropower Construction and Installation. The 30MW hydro project at Nyadikhola in Marsyangdi Rural Municipality is nearing completion, with 85 percent of work completed so far.
The company employs 61 Chinese nationals, of whom, 57 had visited China to celebrate the Chinese New Year, about the time when the coronavirus outbreak was at its peak in the country. Thirty-eight employees have already returned to the construction site, but they have refused to either stay in a quarantine facility or comply with the lockdown, Sunil Khanal, a local, said.
“Monday’s incident is a culmination of the locals’ month-long ire at the Chinese employees and Nepali officials at the project,” said Khanal.