Madhes movement campaigners decry discriminatory reliefSome victims of 2007 and 2015 Madhes movements have accused Province 2 government of discrimination during relief distribution.
Some victims of 2007 and 2015 Madhes movements have accused Province 2 government of discrimination during relief distribution.
The provincial government has been distributing Rs 300,000 each to the victims who were injured in the mass protest that broke out demanding greater rights for the Madhesi community in the constitution.
Last week, Chief Minister Mohammad Lalbabu Raut handed over Rs 300,000 each to Panalal Yadav of Sakhuwa Prasauni Rural Municipality and Mansi Patel of Birgunj Metropolitan City. But 35-year-old Upendra Yadav of Birgunj, who suffered from bullet injury in his leg in the 2015 uprising, was offered Rs 100,000. He refused to take the amount.
“I was rendered disabled in that protest. Now this government is discriminating me while handing out relief money,” Yadav blamed.
Yadav had spent nearly Rs 1.5 million in his treatment for which he had to sell his land.
“What am I going to do with Rs 100,000? I have a family to look after,” he said.
Nagina Paswan of Prasaunibirta in Birgunj-23 also complained of discrimination during relief distribution.
The 45-year-old was shot in his head during the first Madhes movement on February 3, 2007. He is still living with a bullet shrapnel in head.
“The province government was not at all helpful.
Here I am living with bullet wound in my head, and it is offering me a paltry amount for my contribution,” he said.
Paswan and Yadav blamed the elected local representatives and the province government of providing larger sum of relief to those with political connection and disparaging those who did not have larger voice in the