12 doctors held for doing just what the doctor didn’t orderAround a dozen practising doctors have fallen into police net for doing just what the doctor did not order.
Around a dozen practising doctors have fallen into police net for doing just what the doctor did not order. They had acquired their medical degrees—and some were not even registered with the Nepal Medical Council—based on fake academic credentials.
Of the twelve practising doctors who were rounded up from different districts by the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police, only eight were registered with the NMC.
According to the CIB, the arrested medical practitioners were found to have acquired fake school leaving certificates and higher secondary certificates.
They had managed to acquire their medical degrees based on these fake credentials.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Hemanta Malla Thakuri said 10 doctors had “bought” fake higher secondary certificates from India while one of them had forged his SLC and higher secondary certificates. “A majority of them had studied in China while others had done their MBBS from Russia, India, Bangladesh and Pakistan,” said DIG Thakuri.
Ram Babu Giri, one of the arrestees, of Jhapa, who was working at BNC Hospital, Birtamod, had even completed his MD from the Philippines.
Binita Yadav, another arrestee, of Siraha, who was practicing in College of Medical Sciences in Bharatpur, was also teaching undergraduate medical students in Chitwan.
“These doctors will have their licences scrapped,” said NMC Spokesperson Dr Krishna Adhikari. “All of these doctors had flunked NMC licensing examination at least five times,” added Dr Adhikari. “There are at least 200 such doctors who are under investigation.”
In November last year, police had arrested two fake examinees.
They were attending
NMC licensing examination on behalf of Nabin Kumar Yadav, who had failed NMC licensing examination for eight times, and Saroj
Shah, who could not get through 12 times.
- Ram Babu Giri (Jhapa) BNC Hospital, Birtamod
- Pashupati Chaudhary (Morang) Pashupati Model Hospital, Itahari
- Mohamad Kamlur Hak (Saptari) Golden Hospital, Biratnagar
- Tulsi Kumar Mahato (Morang) Koshi Zonal Hospital, Biratnagar
- Mohamad Ahmed Sidiqui (Dhanusha) Global Hospital, Siraha
- Santosh Kumar Yadav (Mahottari) Janakpur Zonal Hospital, Janakpur
- Kalyan Bishwas (Dhanusha) Chansi Medical Hall, Janakpur
- Binita Yadav (Siraha) College of Medical Sciences, Bharatpur
- Bhagwan Kewat Mallah (Dhanusha) Ajit Medical Hall, Janakpur
- Sailendra Kumar Mahato (Dhanusha) Ram Janaki Dental Clinic, Janakpur
- Afjal Husain (Kapilvastu) Health Services Clinic, Kapilvastu
- Shyam Babu Shah (Mahottari) Global Hospital, Lalitpur