Govt to unveil rebuilding plan within three monthsThe Home Ministry is coming up with a plan within three months to reconstruct houses destroyed or damaged in the recent monsoon-related disasters.
The Home Ministry is coming up with a plan within three months to reconstruct houses destroyed or damaged in the recent monsoon-related disasters.
Speaking at a meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Human Rights on Friday, Home Minister Janardan Sharma said that the data collection on the actual loss of lives and properties was in final stages.
The government’s preliminary report shows 79,812 houses were destroyed by floods and landslides, with 144,444 more damaged in the disasters. Though the government has distributed Rs15,000 as a preliminary relief to the victims, it has yet to decide on support for those who have lost their houses.
“The ministry will come up with a three-month reconstruction programme once the actual report on the loss is compiled,” Minister Sharma told the House committee.
The government is also preparing to announce assistance of Rs300,000—on par with the earthquake-displaced families—to the victims of this year’s floods and landslides.
The House committee members had criticised the government for failing to provide timely relief to the victims. Admitting the shortcoming, Sharma urged all the stakeholders to support the government in relief distribution.
While the government is yet to come up with the actual data of the affected people, the World Food Programme (WFP) claims that 1.7 million people have been directly affected either by the flood or landslide, with around 461,000 being displaced, are in desperate need of assistance.
As many as 143 people have been killed, while 30 others are still missing in the rain-induced disasters since August 11.
Home Minister Sharma told the House committee that the government had already allocated Rs200,000 each to the kin of those who died in the disasters and provided Rs15,000 in grants to the families whose houses have been damaged. It has also been providing Rs70 per individual on daily basis for food.
“The government is formulating a long-term plan for the disaster management,” Sharma said, adding that the embankments built by the Indian side in the border areas are mainly responsible for inundations in the Tarai. He said that Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, who is on an official visit to India, has raised the issue with the Indian side to find a solution to the problem.