Two more killed by toxic alcohol, toll reaches fiveTwo more persons died of toxic alcohol in Mahottari district on Sunday night. With this, death toll caused by alcohol laced with poisonous chemical has reached five.
Two more persons died of toxic alcohol in Mahottari district on Sunday night. With this, death toll caused by alcohol laced with poisonous chemical has reached five.
Talawoti Devi Malli, 44, of Gaushala-7 and Badri Malli, 65, of Aurahi-4 died while undergoing treatment at separate hospitals, said SP Janak Bhattarai.
The deceased were admitted to BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences and Janakpur Zonal Hospital after they fell ill after consuming the alcohol.
SP Bhattarai said three members of Talawoti’s family died of suspected alcohol poisoning at Sahasaula in Mahottari district on Sunday morning. They had visited a local tavern to drink on Saturday evening, said police.
Malli’s family was celebrating at the tavern after finalising son’s marriage.
The owner of the watering hole, Binod Mahara, is on the run, said police.
Dr Rajib Jha of District Hospital said the deceased persons might have consumed alcohol with high spirit concentration. “We can say more on the incident after conducting viscera test,” said SP Bhattarai.