Additional 14,988 conflict victims verifiedThe number of people, who suffered the atrocities of war during the decade-long Maoist insurgency— both from the security forces and the rebel group, is likely to increase, as the taskforce formed to verify the unacknowledged victims of conflict plans to submit its report to the government on Wednesday.
The number of people, who suffered the atrocities of war during the decade-long Maoist insurgency— both from the security forces and the rebel group, is likely to increase, as the taskforce formed to verify the unacknowledged victims of conflict plans to submit its report to the government on Wednesday.
The taskforce, led by Ram Chandra Ghimire, has verified an additional 14,988 conflict victims based on the list of conflict victims that was prepared by the previous two taskforces, the Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction confirmed.
The government has so far identified 132,253 conflict victims. Suman Sharma, the secretary at the ministry, said the government had formed the taskforces to identify additional conflict victims following complaints that many people were excluded.
The first taskforce was formed on January 22, 2015, under Nara Bahadur Pun; it had identified 3,812 conflict victims. The second taskforce, under Laxmi Kumari Basnet, had identified additional 11,176 conflict victims.
“We are submitting our first report which will carry the list of verified conflict victims. Our job was just to verify the conflict victims. There won’t be more conflict victims than the number identified by the previous two taskforces,” Ghimire said.
The conflict victims have been categorised under eight groups: dead, disappeared, maimed/amputees, those requiring treatment, abducted, displaced, orphaned and persons whose properties were lost, destroyed, or damaged.
“The category will determine the size and kind of relief package the government will offer to the conflict victims,” Ghimire said.
The taskforce has verified 206 people who were killed during the conflict and 193 people who were victims of enforced disappearances. Their families will receive
Rs 1 million each, as per the decision announced by the Cabinet last week.
The number of victims whose properties were lost, destroyed, or damaged during the conflict is highest on the list with 6,992. It is followed by the victims who were maimed/amputees (2,888), those who were abducted (2,530), and those who were displaced (2,361). The numbers of orphan children and those requiring treatment stand at 69 and 49 respectively.