NRA issues rebuilding funds to ministriesAs the first anniversary of the April 25 earthquake nears, the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) has started releasing reconstruction budget to the concerned line ministries, instructing them to begin rebuilding in the affected districts.
As the first anniversary of the April 25 earthquake nears, the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) has started releasing reconstruction budget to the concerned line ministries, instructing them to begin rebuilding in the affected districts.
The government body responsible for post-quake reconstruction released Rs600 million to the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and Rs2.19 billion to the Education Ministry, mandating them to spend the money for rebuilding quake-damaged infrastructure. Rs360 million was sent to the Urban Development Ministry, Rs660 million to the Department of Roads and Rs50 million to the Agriculture Development Ministry.
Two weeks ago, the NRA issued the amount to the Local Development Ministry, asking it to distribute the first instalment of housing reconstruction aid in Singati of Dolakha district.
“Urban development, tourism and education ministries can now begin reconstruction on their own while the Local Development Ministry has already started the process for rebuilding homes,” said authority Spokesperson Ram Prasad Thapaliya.
The focal person appointed at the Central Project Implementation Unit under each ministry will take a lead in rebuilding the infrastructure in accordance with the NRA guidelines.
“The focal person will be solely responsible for channelising the rebuilding aid. They don’t need to consult with the ministry,” said Thapaliya.
Before disbursing the funds, the NRA approved reconstruction projects forwarded by the ministries.
The government earlier released Rs65 billion for reconstruction.
There has not been much progress, however, in signing agreements with donors as per their commitments made during the International Conference on Nepal’s Reconstruction in June last year. Of the total $4.1 billion pledge, the government has signed agreements only worth $1.14 billion so far.
The April 25 earthquake killed nearly 9,000 people and injured over 22,000, forcing tens of thousands to live in makeshift shelters.